In August, 2005, an archaeology dig was conducted at the Kent-Delord House Museum. This "dig" actually was the removal of sod from the museum lawn to recreate garden paths. The sod that was removed was screened by members of the museum and volunteers from the community. Larry Turner of Peru, NY, is an amateur archaeologist who found two items of great interest: A military button from the War of 1812 and a piece of amethyst jewelry.
1st Regiment, U.S. Light Artillery Button
|This button was found on August 10, 2005. The button is 18mm across. It has an LA in manuscript lettering, with a numeral 1 below. Research tells us this is a uniform button from the 1st Regiment, U.S. Light Artillery. This regiment was formed in 1808 at Ft. McHenry, Baltimore, MD. This unit later was at the Battle of Plattsburgh on Sept. 11, 1814. On the back of the button is the name Giles Richards, who was a button-maker in Cincinnati, OH, and who contracted to make buttons and other metal devices for U.S. Army uniforms during the War of 1812.|
Late Victorian Costume Jewelry
|This piece of jewelry was found on August 13, 2005. The setting is not gold, but it is gold-toned, possibly a copper alloy. The stone appears to be amethyst. It is faceted on both sides. There are no markings. We believe it is late Victorian costume jewelry. We are still researching this piece.|